Friday, January 3, 2020

Into the New Year

I don't know how anyone else feels but I always look at the new year as an opportunity to get a fresh start.  It's sort of like moving into a new apartment or house.  You have all the same "stuff" but you get to look at it with new eyes and evaluate whether you want to keep it or not; you get to decide where you'll put your stuff ie on a different wall or maybe in a different room.  A new year gives you to opportunity to look at things differently and maybe make a few changes.

I've never been one for New Year's resolutions, mainly because I never keep them so what's the point?  I don't know anyone who ever does but then maybe that's just me.  Two years ago I did decide to stop purchasing supplies.  I posted a large note on the blinds in my art studio and it worked.  I have, for the most part used and / or purged what I have and it's helped.  I can actually go into a craft store now and not lose my mind when I see all the new supplies.  Have I closed the purchasing department completely?  No I have not, however, I have cut back by about 75%- 80%. I give myself permission to do some purchasing and when I do shop I'm more mindful of what I have and what I really need (rather than what I merely want) so purchase far less. 

We had a quiet New Year again this year.  Appies on New Years eve and we watch Anderson and Andy on CNN, not something I usually do, however, I enjoyed it this year.  Those two have good chemistry and they're entertaining.  I even stayed awake until after midnight which is unusual for me. 

I hosted my annual New Year's day dinner party for some friends.  We always did that when my husband was alive and I've kept the tradition alive.  I always make prime rib which is too die for, even if I do say so myself.  This year was wonderful and while it's a lot of work, I really do enjoy doing it. 

Happy New Year to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment